Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas - Part 2

After one week of being stuck in the house, the snow had cleared enough for us to drive around. One of the first things we did was meet my mom's side of the family for dim sum. Pictured below is my uncle and his daughter, Emily....Cousins Emily, Michael, and Serena playing Nintendo DS at the table....
Going to Skate King was an absolute time warp! This place has hosted every Seattle-area elementary school rolling skating field trip for as long as we can remember. We were probably Serena's age the last time we were inside. Fortunately, for the sake of my nostalgic side, the place hasn't changed a bit. It has a same mural on the back wall, the same old man showing off his skate/dance moves, the same tan leather skates, and with it, the same musty smell. Ahhh..it's good to be home.... At some point in this trip, I borrowed my brother's Nikon 50mm F/1.4 lens. All the photos in this post were shot using this lens. I love this lens for night time shots....Brooke and I spent a few hours just cruising residential neighborhoods looking for homes for sale. We'd love to get a place in the Wallingford or Phinney Ridge area for our eventual move back to Seattle. The pictures below were taken in Gas Works Park in Wallingford. The Fremont Troll tucked beneath the Aurora Bridge....Every conversation with my grandmother eventually turns to food. She's a great cook, so my trips home often include a cooking lesson. On this day she's teaching me how to make Ca Kho To (Vietnamese Clay Pot Catfish)....Cousins from my dad's side of the family were not so open to photographs...Our friends from San Jose were also up in Seattle to visit their family. Look how big their two boys have gotten....We spent a 20-something degree night walking through the Bellevue Botanical Gardens for their Garden D'Lights, where Christmas lights are arranged to look like all sorts of things, including grape vines, monkeys, peacocks, and jellyfish. It was definitely worth the visit, especially since it was free....

2 comments:

penny said...

What is it called when the background of your picture is blurry, I love that effect

Van said...

A large aperture (small f-number) creates the shallow depth of field. The abnormally large aperture is why I love the 50mm F/1.4 lens.