Wednesday, June 10, 2009

36 Weeks

This is a common sight around the apartment as Brooke prepares for her first committee meeting tomorrow. Hopefully, after the meeting, we'll have a better understanding of when she'll graduate...


While Brooke is working, I'm trying new recipes. This week I made one of my favorite dim sum dishes: Law Bok Gow (Turnip Cakes). It was so simple and delicious, I'll definitely make it again.

(1) Shred some Chinese turnips (Daikon Radish). Boil the shredded turnips for about 10 minutes. Drain.


(2) Dice Shitake mushrooms & Chinese sausage. Saute them together.
I've chosen to leave out the dried shrimp, otherwise I'd probably include it in this step.


(3) Mix rice flour and water. It should be approximately the consistency of half & half.

(4) Mix all the ingredients together. Add some salt. Pour into cake pan.

(5) Place the filled pan into a makeshift steamer pot. Steam for 1 hour.



(6) Let cool. Cut into 1" thick slices. With a frying pan and some oil, brown both sides. Enjoy.



The people at my work threw me a baby shower today. I don't think guys normally get baby showers, but I'm not one to refuse free baby gear.


I got a bunch of great stuff and I also learned something very important at the baby shower.....after 6 years of working together, my coworkers still don't know my name. I got two cards with the name "Ben" and one "Vin".


Obviously not everyone got my name wrong...

No comments: