Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Happy 1 Month Birthday! (Updated)





Like the "100% Adorable" shirt, I plan on making monthly shirts using iron-on t-shirt transfers...


---------------------------------
Updated 08-10-2009
---------------------------------

Traditionally in Chinese culture, the new mother and child are supposed to stay in bed for the first month. At the end of that month, there is a large celebration where all family members shower the baby with gifts (usually cash or gold). Luckily for us we're free to pick and choose only the Chinese customs that we like. We didn't observe the one month in bed rule, but we couldn't pass up the banquet and gifts. For Ryan's birthday, we held a banquet in LA for about 25 family members (a majority of my close relatives is in Seattle and could not attend).

Here are some photos from his birthday.

My grandparents (dad's side) with Ryan.



The traditional red eggs. I didn't really know the significance, so I had to Google it: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/foodfestivals/tp/foodsymbolism.htm ....



Brooke, Brooke's mom, and my aunt at the banquet...





I've thought it for a long time, but after seeing more of my extended family, I'm even more certain I'll never have a daughter. Over the last 3 generations, the ratio of boys to girls in my dad's side of the family is around 5:1. This pictures says it all....



Unfortunately, Ryan's 1 month birthday meant the departure of his grandma. This is her hold Ryan on her final day in Santa Barbara....

1 comment:

Autumn said...

So cute! He looks even bigger from the last time I saw him. Nice job on the shirts Van!