Saturday, April 17, 2010

Holga

About 2 weeks ago, Brooke and I each got a Holga 120N camera. It's an inexpensive, plastic, medium format film, "toy" camera that takes fuzzy old-fashioned-looking photos. And despite its German sounding name, according to the manual, "Holga" is derived from the Cantonese term "ho gwong" which means "very bright".

We each shot one roll of film...and of the 28 total shots taken, only 6 were worth keeping. Since neither one of us has used a completely manual camera in over 10 years, the most common mistake we made was forgetting to wind the film and ending up with double exposures. We don't have a photo or film scanner, so I just took digital shots of the prints. Here are a few of our favorites....
DSC_1954

DSC_1952
DSC_1953

I don't think I'll be giving up my digital SLR anytime soon, but the little Holgas are a lot of fun...and I just bought another 4 rolls of film.

No comments: