Monday, May 28, 2012

Bremerton Autocross

A coworker of mine finally got his Datsun 280Z project car fitted with a new suspension and tires, so we decided to test it at the Bremerton Autocross. Bremerton is about 2 hours away via ferry and race registration started at 7:30am, so it was an early morning for us.

While on the Bremerton ferry, we saw a beautiful sunrise over Seattle (I wish I had a better camera than my point&shoot)...
IMG_0960

The car was completely gutted. It had no interior door panels, side mirrors, no door handles, and no glass except for the windshield which is required...
IMG_0965
IMG_0962

I was extremely nervous before the race for a few reasons:
(1) I hadn't autocrossed in about ten years.
(2) I had never driven this car before race day. The only pre-race testing that I got was when I drove it into the starting grid.
(3) I had never raced in a rear-wheel drive car.
(4) The car didn't belong to me.
To my surprise, the race went great. I only hit one cone and missed zero gates. I didn't break any land speed records, but I did manage to beat my coworker…
IMG_0973
IMG_0967


While I was racing, Brooke and Ryan took the bus to Seattle and then hopped on the trolley to South Lake Union. (Ryan loves buses and trains). The SLU area has a big pond where you can checkout (for free) toy sail boats. The boats have no motors or any sort of controls. You simply push the boat toward the center of the pond and watch the wind take it away...
SLU-2
SLU-1

No comments: