Thursday, June 26, 2008

Bike to Work #2

As promised, I rode my bike to work again. I felt a little bit of knee pain during my ride home yesterday, but it was only a minor annoyance. This morning, the pain was much more intense, forcing me to ride in a lower gear with a faster cadence. My speed ultimately suffered, averaging 0.6 mph slower. I don’t often get knee pains, so I suspect it has something to do with how Brooke’s bike fits me. For my ride home, I’ll try raising the seat and moving it back.

In yesterday’s post, I forgot to mention the $5 of gas I would be saving for every day I biked to work.
But after today’s lunch, I realize any savings in gas would be spent feeding my growing appetite. My usual lunch of a six-inch Subway sandwich will definitely not cut it anymore. Today, I ordered a large plate of Costillas de Puerco con Chile Rojo (pork ribs stewed in a red chile sauce), with about 5 tortillas, and a scoop of beans and rice. When I finished every bit of my own meal, I then proceeded to help a coworker finish her Presto Pasta lasagna meal. Two hours later I was hungry again, so I ate a granola bar and a pack of gummy fruit snacks. At this rate, I’ll never need to write a post on how biking has helped me lose weight.

---------------------------------------------
Update - 6:40 pm

Maybe it was the raised seat position or maybe it was the extra strength aspirin, but my knees felt a lot better during the ride home....and my speed reflects it. Here are the stats:

No comments: