Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Too close for comfort...

Last night and this morning I have been hearing the unusually frequent sound of helicopters outside my apartment. When I got out to my car this morning, it was covered in ash. I looked up at the hills above, and there is a big fire coming this way. I learned this morning it has been named "The Gap Fire". There are always a number of wild fires burning in Southern California in the summer, but I don't think there has ever been one this close to us. It has a long way to go before it reaches our apartment, but there have been evacuations not too far away. It is a very uncomfortable feeling to look up and see a fire coming towards you. Here is a link to two pictures of the fire, taken last night. Another story and picture can be found here.

No comments: