Thursday, September 11, 2008

New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

I read a lot of food blogs and recently began to notice everyone has tried this recipe. It seems you can't call yourself a true lover of baked goods if you haven't tasted this cookie. If you're curious, go to the Google blog search and type in "NY Times cookie recipe", you will have plenty of opinions to read. It was my turn to bring something to our "dessert club" at work, so I decided it was the perfect time to try what has been called the best chocolate chip cookie of all time. The recipe calls for a mixture of approximately one part cake flour and one part bread flour. From what I read, in these proportions, it makes it about equal to all purpose flour. I wanted to know if it really makes that big of difference, so I made two batches, one with the mixture and one with all purpose flour. With a pound and a quarter of chocolate needed per batch, I couldn't justify the $20 price tag for that much "good" chocolate, so I went to Costco and got the big bag of Nestle semi-sweet chips. I actually weighed the chocolate chips, and man that is a lot of chocolate!Before putting the cookies in the oven, you are supposed to sprinkle sea salt on top of each cookie. After reading that, I knew I was going to love this recipe. I find that most choc chip cookie recipes are seriously lacking in salt. I baked a few right after making the dough, and they were pretty good. I really liked the salt. We ended up putting around 6 pieces of sea salt on each cookie, I wouldn't have minded more, but Van is a little salt sensitive. I then put the dough in the refrigerator to let it "rest" for 24 hours. When I cooked the 24 hour batch, they turned out really great. The cookies had the perfect texture. I polled my coworkers and it was about 50/50 for the all purpose flour vs. the bread/cake mix. Van and I both liked the all purpose flour better. I think next time I would make them with the all purpose flour, but use better chocolate. Overall, they are the best home made chocolate chip cookie I have ever had. The sprinkle of salt really makes the flavor pop. Each cookie contains the full spectrum of texture, crispy on the edge, chewy as you move inward and soft in the middle. Yum!

No comments: