Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Table for one

I spent 3 days last week in Portland, Oregon working a trade show. I hate trade shows and I hate working in sales, but most of all, I hate traveling alone. It sounds fun initially....time away from the office, meals paid for by the company, opportunity to see a new city. But when I finally get there and find a nice restaurant, I can't bring myself to go inside and utter the words "table for one". I always end up eating a burger alone in the hotel room, or sometimes I get brave enough to eat at the hotel restaurant. I figure everybody there will understand.
I did take some time to go on a scenic drive on the Historic Columbia River Highway. The views of the Columbia River gorge were amazing, plus the eastern half of the drive is lined with a number of waterfalls. I think Multnomah Falls (pictured below) was the most beautiful.On Saturday, Brooke got free tickets for us to go on a Double Dolphin cruise from the Santa Barbara Sailing Center. The words "dolphin" and "sailing" in their name is a bit misleading. First of all, we didn't actually sail anywhere. They opened the sail just for show, but used the motor for actual propulsion. Secondly, we didn't see any dolphins. The only wildlife we saw were sea lions on abandoned boats. It okay though, the price was right.

No comments: